It’s the thing to have for breakfast dessert on a swealtery summer night.
Speaking of summer…
It’s almost over, and this year has been different. I am usually planning my school days now, those magical 6 hours of not having a mini me attached to my hip. But this year, I am not embracing the school year as I had in the past, maybe it’s because my kid finally outgrew her tantrums, or maybe because I know these days of childhood will be gone in just a short time… this year is definitely different. I don’t loathe summer after 9 weeks of it…
I still love summer…
Clearly, I need to take myself to the office supply store, and get some nice new pens, a planner and notebook, and get back to the real world. Because office supplies make me happy.
So do: puppies, reptiles, chickens,Jesus, clean sheets, lemons and homemade cookies. Oh, and pie. That’s why I am here today:
I have pie for you.
- For the crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the filling
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a food processor, pulse the crumbs and the coconut together
- Place into a bowl, add the butter and vanilla and mix together
- Press into a 8 or 9 inch pie plate to form a crust
- Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine the milk, yolks, lime juice and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared (baked) crust and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with whipped cream if desired.