I made my yearly eyeballs last week. Doesn’t that sound gross? Well, let me explain: in the old days, I used to not like making any type of cut out that required eyes…because I could never get them “just right”.
Until I realized that with royal icing, I can make a bunch of “perfect” eyes, let them dry and have a ton of them ready for whatever cookie or cupcake I need. Woo-hoo! I have a bag of eyeballs in my pantry.Want some? Keep reading…
Seeing that it costs $3.99 for twelve of them at the craft store…I used my time wisely.
That’s okay. I made a ton and I will share. To win yourself a bag of edible candy eyeballs for cookies and cupcakes simply comment at the end of this post the answer to this question:
What’s your favorite type of cookie?
Winner will be chosen at random Monday, October 31st 2011.
|candy eyeballs for cookies||
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- In a stand mixer place all ingredients and mix on medium for 7-10 minutes, or until stiff peaks are formed.
- Adjust water as needed for smoother consistency.
- Pipe small dots using pure white, and pipe smaller dots using black or other desired color for iris of eye. Pipe onto parchment paper for best results.
- Allow to dry 24 hours before placing in zip-top bags.
Original recipe from Wilton.