I have been craving these for years. YEARS. The last time I had one was during my trip to Chicago.
Not sure why it has taken me this long to satisfy this craving, maybe I was just waiting for a influx of BBQ pork to head my way…
And, (blame it on the hubby) the hubs requested some slow cooker BBQ pulled pork a few days ago, so I had the perfect leftover meal to make.
Nothing like taking good ol’ American BBQ and making something exotic out of the leftovers, right? 😉
These are crazy easy to make, and yes, the kids can help. (Just not with the steaming part.)
And, the taste a-ma-zing. Not like soggy mushy blobs… (like my husband thought they would)
They taste like chewy fluffy pretzel buns with sweet shredded BBQ inside.
Like an albino soft pretzel bun. I could market these to people as that. I can see me selling these out of a big white food truck somewhere calling them albino pretzel buns. Much easier to say than Char Siu Bau. For me, at least!
- 1 TBS yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs oil
- Combine the first four ingredients together.
- Allow to sit in a warm place 30 minutes
- Place in a mixing bowl the next four ingredients, and add the above batter
- Knead to form a smooth elastic dough
- Allow to rise until double in size
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon baking powder into 2 tbs flour onto counter top and roll out 12 balls of uniform size.
- Flatten each ball and place 1 TBS shredded BBQ pork or beef in center,.
- Steam 2" above water and ½ " apart for 12-14 minutes
- Serve warm