Note: This is a sponsored post, however the opinions expressed are my own.
A while back, I had the opportunity to feature Rioja wine in a festive appetizer, I created a festive little Caprese bite that is the perfect accompaniment to a holiday meal. Caprese bites with a rioja wine reduction glaze
This season, I’m happy to share with you a new twist on the traditional brined and roasted turkey…
Nowadays, everyone seems to brine their turkey- which is awesome because the world needs less dried turkeys, and brining is the secret to a moist, flavorful bird.
But, why stop at the basic brine? Why stop at a salted, moist turkey when you can go a step further with an array of complex flavors that make your feast really stand out?
In this recipe, featuring the bright flavors of citrus and red wine, your holiday feast will leave your guest talking about the food, instead of crazy aunt Sally.
If you happen to have some guests that prefer a sweeter beverage to sip, how about using that Rioja wine in a festive spiced Sangria?
With the addition of Spanish inspired spices and a bright citrus glaze, you won’t be limited to the traditional white wine with turkey. Step out of the box, embrace flavor and the holiday season!
Have a festive Holiday season!
- Bring to a boil the water, sugar and salt. Cool and then immerse turkey in the brining liquid for about an hour.
- Toast pine nuts until golden on the stovetop.
- In another pan, saute onions & garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add orange juice and stock and reduce by ⅓, stirring frequently.
- Season with honey and salt according to your preference. Pour over the apricots and prunes and allow fruit to soak.
- Strain fruit, reserving the liquid, and stir in the toasted pine nuts. Using cheesecloth and string, wrap and tie the prunes, apricots and pine nuts into a bundle.
- Combine spices in a bowl.
- Stuff bird, sitting in a roasting pan, with bundle and rub with spices. Arrange onions, carrots, and fresh thyme around the turkey.
- Roast at 375F for about 2 hours, or until done, depending on the size of the bird.
- Baste occasionally with the strained orange sauce while roasting.
- When serving, remove the cheesecloth insert and arrange its contents around the turkey with the carrots and onions. Garnish with fresh thyme.