mini sweet potato pies ~ portion controlled appetizer and side dish all in one!
Well, how about that?! I have a seasonal dish up… during the season! I remember reading somewhere that the average Thanksgiving meal has about a ga-zillion calories, so I decided to portion control things. But instead of just a little dab of a side, I created one to be nice to look at as well. Let’s face it: These little babies look a lot prettier than a dab.
Another thing, these are so simple to make, just be sure to watch your marshmallows under the broiler. Don’t even blink.
Start with a mini muffin tin. I happen to have a trust worthy non stick one. What do I mean by trustworthy? Well, have you ever bought items that claimed to be “non stick” and even looked and felt “non stick”, but when you go to cook or bake in them- they end up being clingy? As in, bad relationship clingy? As in that pan is getting dumped just as soon as you pry off what ever morsel of food you can off of it? Yes. I’ve had some bad pan relationships in the past. They always started of claiming non stick goodness…. but nooooo.
Anyway if you have a trustworthy non stick- great! However, when in doubt- grease After that, line your mini muffin pan with vanilla wafers, and on top of that you’re going to put your sweet potato
pie filling casserole mixture. Some people call it pie, some people call it casserole. Some people think the glass is half full, too. I’ll just call it mixture and remain neutral. 😉
Now bake those up, but- don’t put the marshmallows on them, though.
The marshmallows go on and go under the broiler for just a minute. Maybe more maybe less… just don’t blink. Those guys burn faster than an albino in the dessert.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, cooked and mashed
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 18 vanilla wafer cookies
- 72 miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place one cookie in each compartment of a non stick mini miffin tin
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, spices, sugar, butter and egg.
- Mix until smooth.
- Spoon on top of each cookie, filling to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Remove from oven and place 3-4 marshmallows on top.
- Place under high broiler to brown the tops, watching carefully. (1-2 minutes)
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.